sábado, 25 de junio de 2011

In which I become a Pirate of the Caribbean, look for Nemo and boogie in a tent



The past week has been full of firsts for me so I thought I'd share a few.

Last Sunday, after lounging around through a torrentially rained off Saturday, I made my way up to a town two thirds up the island called Holetown. It is a tiny little hole really but has a lovely beach, which is part of the reason I was there. I had decided to spend my Sunday morning on a glass bottomed boat ride. After a quick breakfast of toast on the beach (while reading some Sherlock Holmes... suddenly felt very British!), I made my way aboard the little boat.

At first I had the place to myself as we set sail along the glorious white-sanded bordered coast. Our first stop was at a sunken ship where I, alone, being the only one on the tour, donned a snorkel and slipped into the warm water. The sight was breath-taking. So was the being underwater with a loose snorkel. I have never seen so many fish in one place, the sea was teeming with them! I mean hundreds per square sea metre. Sergeant Majors and Blue Chubs engulfed the boat looking for food. It was all I could do not to hit them as I trod water. Absolutely stunning but a bit disconcerting too, especially for a girl who freaks out when seaweed brushes against me.

Things go more frantic when the boat guy/ sailor/ imaginary pirate asked me if I wanted to feed them. Still in the water I threw little chunks of white bread out in front of me and watched the ocean scramble as hundreds of fish jumped, slapped and fought their way to the morsels.

Back on board we popped back to land to pick up a late-arrival couple (from Tottenham!) and together we set off again. Cruising along the coast our guide pointed out the sea front houses of Andre Agassi and Roman Abramovich (which I had thought was a luxury 5* hotel, it was mahoooosive!) I am quite ashamed the pirate in me didn´t take advantage, I didn´t plunder any booty (monetary or otherwise).

We soon came near a catamaran full of tourists and were told to get in to the water. This is what I had been waiting for.... the sea turtles. Lost for a while I swam round in circles but then there, between the thrashing sunburnt legs of several tourists loomed a large, green sea turtle. Soon more appeared and suddenly I was swimming with about 10 of the beautiful beasts, so serenely slow and graceful under water (me not them, they were alright too I guess.) One of the guides was feeding them fish and they swam nonchalantly past us, so close we could and did reach out to stroke their large, fuzzy shells. It was a truly truly magical experience. To see such beautiful creatures so close up was just mind blowing. Forget swimming with dolphins, turtles are the new black!

After that we headed back to the shipwreck and explored the coral reef next to it. The tornado of fish had dispersed by then and I was confident enough with my snorkel to dive down and see the beautiful jewel-like little fish swimming in the reefs. And the eels, which, old though I am, made me a little nervous Ursula the SeaWitch was around somewhere.


That evening more treats were in store as I was off to a calypso concert to write a “first-timer´s impressions” piece for the paper. I had been told about calypso tents and so was expecting some sweaty, UK festival style wobbly circus-tent. Instead it was a pretty swanky affair, plush seats, hostesses offering chocolate, cheese and icecream samples (!), and everyone dressed up in their best. I had come dressed for sweaty tent. Oh dear.

The music was great. Caylpso is this fun, swinging beat with either party lyrics or songs about political and social commentary. There was a 10 piece band and two great backing singers and one by one a host of calypsonians came on to do one or two songs each. I´d heard a lot of calypso on the radio but it was so great live, it is all about audience reaction and people went wild whooping and cheering clever lines they liked! The show was closed by my favourite Barbadian artist Biggie Irie who sang this song, which I love and is my theme song for my time here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdi_NFauFs
Afterwards we popped back stage to do a few interviews and then headed home.

Re-energised after my aquatic experience and calypso catch up I went back to work with renewed vigor and had a good week which often involved popping to the beach in between or for assignments.

We have moved offices but just to around the corner. Now Lorna, whose house I am in, has gone for meetings in Paris I get 2 buses in in the morning which takes about 2 hours. Gives me time to study my Journalism course though and see the beautiful sites. The second bus´s final destination is a place called Jackson so every morning I have Johnny Cash in my head.... unless I get the bus driver who´s favourite radio station is blaring reggae interrupted EVERY two seconds by the announcer either singing along or making random comments. Drives me nuts.

I´ll sign this one off now but have lots more firsts to write about.

Lessons learnt:

Screaming underwater is not a good idea.

Saying hello in the street does not make you weird. It is a lovely sensation to smile and say hi to everyone you meet. Sounds all rainbows and buttercups but it is, so there.

Today I got commented on in the street by a guy. He was 6 years old and said “You are pretty. You have very nice skin.” It is the sweetest heckle I have ever gotten.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario