jueves, 24 de marzo de 2011

In which I get green, threaten a tree and plan for domination

Tonight I’m meant to be preparing for a debate for my Gender and Human Rights Class. Tomorrow I am due to argue against LGBT rights which means I really should be spending this time looking at homophobic websites to compile info for my big, evil argument. But I don’t want to! So instead I have spent it making fresh lemonade (we managed to end up with a carrier bag full of lemons left over from a party.... and well the rest wrote itself), eating guacamole and hanging out.

Life has been pretty damn busy lately, (isn’t it always). We have these cultural nights, I may have mentioned them before, when each region presents food and entertainment from their countries. Europe and Middle East is coming up and guess which idiotic, pain-addict has ended up organising it. No not Charlie Sheen, me.  But it is causing a similar style breakdown. The problem is Europeans and Middle Eastern students are definitely the minority at the school, so while other nights had huge task forces we have a few brave souls running around doing everything. But heck if history has taught us anything it is that Europe doesn’t really see logical things like physical size as an issue when it comes to world domination. And yes, I just compared my party planning to colonialism, which may mean the party will slowly crumble as the guests take control of their fun, one by one. But I refuse to look that far ahead.

Anyway enough pseudo-historical party planning, it is all happening next Friday (April 1st if you can believe that) and has a medieval theme. So I have a week to make a suit of armour out of tinfoil. If you have seen my previous fancy dress costumes you should know tinfoil is a favoured medium of mine and this should not be a problem.

Speaking of parties, we had a great Paddy’s night house party at our house. Guinness, baileys, beer and my skin got dyed green, songs were sung and merriment was had. I did badly miss my and Sho’s tradition of Guinnpagne (Guinness drunk out of champagne flutes), potato bread and Father Ted, but I guess this was the next best thing.

Other than that it has been a lot of studying and trying to get my thesis done as fast as is humanly possible. My new flat is working out brilliantly, I live with Rafael from Mexico and Patrick from US (Michigan) and they are awesome flatmates. We have just discovered an avocado tree that hangs over into our garden so every day I check if the bulbous fruit is ripe yet. (Rafa informs me shouting abuse to try and make them mature faster is not an efficient gardening technique. But then he hasn’t experienced the British schooling system).  

Tomorrow we have a leaving party (Mum please see Paragraph 5 which outlines the work I have been doing. Ignore all the rest about parties!) This party is for the Asian Leaders Programme, (40 students from Asian countries) which will be really sad. Then on Saturday I am popping up to Nicaragua for a long weekend, so will report back on that soon.

Lessons learnt:

Nothing about homophobic arguments, thank goodness.

Green beer is fun. Green hangovers are not.

I helped Rafa out making guacamole for Latin American night. 200 portions of guacamole. Despite cutting a million tomatoes, etc I still love the stuff. I think this is real.

1 comentario:

  1. Good luck with thesis, arguing against LGBT rights and party planning. Here, autumn has arrived - so far, this has meant cooler weather and a lot of rain. I am planning to bake ANZAC biscuits and hot cross buns. Thus ends the exciting update on my life!

    ResponderEliminar